Monday, February 28, 2011

Another 50 pence supper.

Slice the back bacon and mushrooms and fry until cooked, add two tablespoons of flour and 12g of grated low fat cheddar.
 I love a challenge! Things are financially tight and I have to focus on saving every penny to pay for the house and car insurance; the only movable budget I have is my food allowance so I'm cutting that back. Tonight I made my own version of carbonara. I used 120g of low fat cheddar (half price in Lidl) 33p, one pack of back bacon 69p, four mushrooms 20p, 2/3 of a litre of skimmed milk (I always buy UHT - it's half the price), two tablespoons of wheat free flour (the sauce never sticks with that) and a third of a bag of Tesco Value Penne. A total of £1.63 and I made five portions, three of which are in freezer tubs and of course, in the freezer. We ate ours with two sliced tomatoes each.
Add the milk and mix together, heat through, stirring all the time until a smooth sauce.

add the cooked penne - I get the pan of boiling water on and it takes as long to cook the penne as the carbonara sauce.

Serve with seasoned sliced tomatoes (family pack from Lidl) and pop the rest in the freezer for days when I don't feel like cooking 47p a portion
Tesco's own ready meal is £3!!!! I've never bought it, but mine just might be tastier and at 33p a portion a tenth of the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment