Thursday, April 28, 2011

Low tech solution to a thirsty garden

Ta da! A bin and it works. I've already watered the garden. The bin was cheaper than any water butt I could find and it is also the frugal solution. My washing machine uses 44 litres of water for every load and now I can reuse every drop. I now recycle the shower water, sink water for the toilets and now I can include the washing machine water. I shall only do this when my water butt is empty and I fully intend buying as many water butts as I can afford. I think it is crazy that we wash our clothes, flush our loo and water our garden with pure drinking water. Call me weird if you want, but I'm thrilled that in my very small way I'm sticking two fingers up to South West Water and saving the planet, albeit in a tiny way.

Now the washing machine is just ending the second wash, I'm now going to water the shrubs and plants which are already wilting in the heat. Added later for 'Saving for Travel' - it really is as simple as it looks, I just hooked the waste pipe into the bin and then ran the washing machine. I then bucket it into the garden. Added even later......I use ecover, which does not damage the garden and the wash water and the rinse water is mixed and I only use one tablet per wash. Also I will add, my mum washed all our clothes in Tide and all the water on our fruit and veg, maybe some time Persil or Ariel..............and by the fact that I was fed and I'm still alive; I didn't die, nor did the plants which the water was tipped over.

Until tomorrow,

Froogs xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment