Wednesday, April 27, 2011

More gardens, this time, mine.

 It's been a long evening. Home from work and cooking supper. Nothing worth blogging about..quorn sausages, mash and veggies with gravy. I made four meals and two will be 'dinged' tomorrow night as I have to travel for work and I'm not sure when I'll get home. I must say, all the carrying of water up and down the stairs is keeping me fit. I'm now investigating setting up a water butt in my utility room and hooking the washing machine pipe straight into it so I can save the water for the garden. I only use eco soap so it won't harm the garden. As soon as I sort something out, you'll be the first to know. In the meantime, I'm holding out with the laundry for as long as possible so I can recycle the water when I next get round to getting it washed.
 My plants are thriving on grey water. It's been so dry that I've had to water them every day. Not having anywhere to 'dig' means I grow in pots, or flashy bags in wicker wrappers. From my experiments last year, everything grew well in a big cheap plastic pot and not so well in bags. Cheap plastic pots it is then. Tonight, I transplanted the butternut squash, cucumbers and courgettes, out of the wee pots where they have grown from seed into their large permanent pots in the poly tunnel. Last year I failed miserably as I tried using grow bags. Now the plants have deep, compost with added manure and can form deep roots, the poly tunnel with protect them from the cold and I just might get more than courgettes. I've also put beetroot seeds in and the potatoes have been 'earthed up'. It's so easy to do when you use potato bags, just chuck it in on top, give the bags a gently shake and the green leave pop their tips through. Repeat the process until the garden compost is at the top of the bag and keep well watered.
As usual, we went out for our evening walk but later than usual. We spent quite a while just sitting and chatting in the garden. We're both worried about Dearly Beloved either losing his job or facing a massive pay cut alongside me possibly losing a chunk of my income due to having to make a greater contribution to my own pension, just to keep the level I have. Life is full of challenges and it's more important than ever to enjoy the simplest moments such as planting out, watering the garden or chatting with loved ones. We know we can't afford to stay in this house forever and we'll have to find somewhere small as soon as we're out of our mortgage agreement, however, whilst we're here; I'm going to enjoy my garden.

(p.s for Mary - I stand to lose approx £100 a month from the pension alteration, that will be devastating for us, especially if DB either loses his job or, at best, has a pay cut. Everything gets more and more expensive and salaries stay the same or in our case, decrease.)

No comments:

Post a Comment