Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Cheap as chips



In our local chippy a portion of chips is £1.50! Good grief! I buy a bag of spuds for £4 and that lasts us a month and a tray of 18 free range eggs for £2.50 and they like wise, last us nearly a month! They never seem to go off! They are cheap as my local green grocer is a van at the side of the road and as hard times bite, he is busier and busier. Every thing is 50p, a swede, a cauli, a cabbage and these are mega veg, where a cabbage takes up most of a bag for life! And, as today is so cold - today is a chip day! My meals are still under a pound each - we have a pork steak (off the butcher's van at Trago - massive trays of everything - all 2.99 each and yes it's local stuff - farmers are getting cannier and selling their own produce) , some mushrooms, six cherry toms and a big spud each - chipped of course! So after a long day of teaching 150 different students and then going on to two hours private tutoring and then the luxury of a lift home in a CAR! I needed chips and they are such a beautiful sight! So today I saved £3 by making my own chips...I think my own are better anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment