Friday, January 22, 2010

This week I haven't spent any money...until today!

I have been so good this week. Tonight I did the weekend's shopping for £6.37 - much reduced fruti and veg from the co-op, carrots, cabbage, several bags of oranges for 30p a bag (I can't wait for the freshly squeezed orange juice for breakfast), some dried yeast, margarine, bar of soap and some soap powder.

I'm still eeking out what I have in the cupboards and in the freezer. I have a whole bag of chicken pieces in there yet and have people for lunch on Sunday, so roast chicken it will be and the carrots and cabbage to go with it along with croquette potatoes. I save all the ends of the homemade bread and put them in a bag in the freezer and when I have enough, I bake the pieces of bread until crispy and then blitz them in the food processor. One thing I use them for is fish cakes and croquette potatoes. Both have the same base. Peel, chop, boil and mash potatoes, add fried onion and a some steamed/fried/flaked fish and mix together. Roll into patty shapes and coat with bread crumbs - place on oiled oven proof dish and bake. Brilliant served with Roast chicken carrots and cabbage for Sunday lunch!!

Frugal supper tonight was a fave stand by - Corned beef hash - made from half a tin of corned beef and guess what!!! served with cabbage and carrots!
1.
Cook the potatoes in boiling, salted water for 20-25 minutes until tender, then drain and chop. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6).
2. Lightly oil a large, nonstick frying pan, add the onion and sprinkle with salt. Cover and cook gently, stirring occasionally, until golden. Increase the heat, add the mushrooms and cook, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
3. Stir in the corned beef, potatoes and Worcestershire sauce. Transfer to an ovenproof dish and bake for about 25 minutes, until browned.


No comments:

Post a Comment