Sunday, March 27, 2011

Making the most of what we have.

 Hello everyone,

Thanks again; almost 2000 visitors clicked onto Frugal Queen yesterday and lots of you have become followers. I really appreciate the comments, and always love hearing from you all. The offer is still open if anyone wants me to blog about any frugal matters in particular, and if I can help in any way, then I would be glad to. It would also be lovely if you've considered, but haven't taken the 'plunge' yet and for you to become a follower. I often wonder who reads this. It's so good to know that I'm not talking to myself.

Yesterday, I had the guided tour of Foster Mummy's vegetable garden and she's well ahead, with beds prepared and enough seedlings to share some with me. I now have a multitude of squash, sweetcorn, coriander and garlic in the greenhouse. I swear she can grow anything. I am blessed, I have a lot of time off in the summer and every weekend. Our garden is our sanctuary and where we entertain and relax. Our summer house is a great delight to us. This weekend we 'opened' it up in readiness of the warmer weather.
 It's where I complete school work when the weather is good, a lovely place for a cuppa, the afternoon play and feet up in the warm. It's such a sun trap and the deck affords the best view in the garden. I sit there, in the afternoon sun and count my blessings. I too, got some gardening done this weekend.
My polyvinyl is now nurturing: french beans, onions, radishes, chard, garlic, courgettes, salad leaves, beetroot and shallots. I will still have to bring in the tender plants into the house if there is a frost but everything else should cope. We also opened up the compost to dry it slightly before removing the composted material that's ready to use and turning the rest. I'll not buy any more containers but will use the pots, containers and bags for life that I already have. It's easy to spend money on gardening, instead there are ways to save money. Seed sharing.....do you use the whole packet? Seedlings can be swapped. My neighbours have lettuce seedling on the way for me and in return, I always have too many courgettes and will pass them onto him. I get wood ash from my neighbour and, in the little estate I live on, people who were older offered their green houses or veggie plots to people who could use them. I haven't taken up the offer yet, but the young couple who live on the cul de sac have a green house that they never use and I might ask them if I may. In return, I can pay them back in tomatoes and chillies. So readers, what do you make do with? what do you make the best of? I always enjoy hearing from you.

Until tomorrow,

Love Froogs xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment