Tuesday, March 16, 2010

In the blink of an eye

After my son's visit on Sunday I was left thinking about my click here daughter and how I haven't seen her in ages. "Slipping through my fingers - Abba"

She was a beautiful baby and as she laid in my arms only minutes after being born; I thought my life was complete. Mywonderful boy and my gorgeous girl! She was the baby who never cried, who slept all night and without comparison, was as beautiful as a summer's day. She truly was the happiest child who never cried, who skipped the terrible twos, who danced into school and loved the very essence of life.


At six years old she had a fiery independence and will to take the world by the throat and shake it! If she wanted to skate in the dark for one more hour; there was nothing anyone could do to stop her. There was a turning point with her at four years old when she started school where the world 'got at her' and she no longer felt like mine and I knew, from an early age that there was little I could do to change how she felt or the path she wanted to take.


By the age of eight a sadness had decended that engulfed her like a cloud that could suffocate her at times and it took another eight years for depression to be diagnosed and eventually fluoxetine finally took her away from me.

She's in a 'rough' place right now and no one else is allowed in. Sometimes we get a glint of the sunnier side of her being.

I had a text on Sunday and I keep reading it and reading it and reading it and although it just says "Happy Mother's Day" those words are as precious as the hug I got from my son and I know she has the strength of character to be OK in the end and she survives as best she can and her life is what she makes it. The end result is a daughter, who is nearly eighteen and still as comparable as a summer's day but more lovely and more temperate.

No comments:

Post a Comment