Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Rationing?





It is well documented the British diet was actually the healthiest during times of war time and post war rationing. The main stay of the diet was vegetables.

We fill up on huge platefuls of steamed veggies, piles of potato and very few expensive items such as faggots (sorry Ali....I know you read this, but the end of term has meant the leftovers are consigned to the freezer and I picked some ready made ones from Aldi on the way home and was £1.30 and some will go into Dearly beloved's sarnies tomorrow! )

I suppose I've developed my eating habits from my mum who was born in 1939 and grew up in times of rationing and then financial hardship of her own. As children we never flinched at mounds of liver casserole, haslet, brawn, mackerel and pollock until we couldn't get up from the table. Jam was always blackberry and sandwiches for packed lunch were always jam!!! Lemonade and ginger beer was homemade and often exploded in the cupboard under the stairs and every meal was accompanied by a pile of mashed spuds and steaming veg, piled so high that I often couldn't see around my plate. Even now, no meal is complete without lots of vegetables or salad and that will always take up three quarters of our plates. So supper tonight consisted of ready made faggots with mashed potatoes and a whole savoy and some huge carrots. Mum and the ministry of food would be proud. Cost as ever is under £1 per portion and it has certainly warmed and cheered us on this murky windswept evening. I like to keep people entertained so click here to enjoy a few minutes of "Wartime kitchen and garden"


No comments:

Post a Comment