Friday, April 16, 2010

Frugal Tarte tatin

Take one kilo of apples that were 40p (half price!) Cut in half and remove cores and then peel.
Take 75g of butter 7p (I didn't have any, just generic utterly butterly! ) and the cheap sugar. 12p. At this stage preheat the oven to 190 degrees.
Then make pastry - you should really use puff pastry, but I can't be bothered so I made the usual shortcrust, as I would for any apple pie. 120g/60z of plain flour and 60g/3oz- of butterish stuff. Make pastry in the usual way. Roll out and cool, on a plate in the fridge, it stops it shrinking when you bake it. Cost around 8p.
Add the butter and sugar to a pan and allow to melt. Add the apples, round side down into the pan. Cook for ages, until the sauce caramelises. It's like having apples in a toffee sauce. Carefully cook without burning and then place them in a pie tin, or casserole dish or anything you have.....I used a cake tin. Make sure the remaining sauce is poured over the apples. Place the pastry on top ensuring there are no gaps. Bake for around 30 minutes.
Here is the end result. The cost is approximately 70p and would serve 4, even better if I had some cream, but we'll have ours later with some custard (7p instant packet from Morrisons and makes enough for 4 and has a delicious vanillary taste, almost like confectioners creme pattiserie). I checked out the prices at Waitrose or Marks and Spencers and these sell for around £5 each!!!! It had the most delcious buttery, yet apply toffeeness about it and the crispiness of the pastry was just wonderful. I've never made one before and the only place I've ever eaten one is in Brittany. Lunch today was the most frugal and simple pasta with pesto and some green salad with homemade vinaigrette.


No comments:

Post a Comment