Thursday, April 15, 2010

Mr Bean, Lemon chicken and pickles.

I had to go to Plymouth today to take the dogs to the groomers for their annual clip. I stopped off at Mutley Plain, which has seven charity shops. I didn't find anything, but I had a good nose. Some of them now sell furniture too and I saw a lovely coffee table for £12 but was already sold. Whilst walking along, I couldn't resist taking a photo of Goodbody's which is a jazz bar. I love the minis on the roof and always think that if Mr Bean saw it and would think that's where he's supposed to park his mini......well the decor cheers me every time I see it.
Supper was again courtesy of Lidl. Every week something is reduced. Sometimes 'selected fruit and veg' are half price. When I last shopped 'selected fresh meat' was half price. So four chicken breasts were £1.98 instead of £3.99. I always split the pack as we only need one chicken breast each per meal. The English purple sprouting broccoli was 79p per pack, the rice was three packs for £1. I also bought 6 unwaxed lemons for 49p.
Dinner was lemon chicken which is the easiest thing to make.
1. Cut up the chicken breasts into strips. Grate the zest of a lemon.
2. Heat some butter (I use generic utterly butterly - 50p for 500g) and fry the chicken in the butter, when almost cooked add the lemon zest.
3.When cooked through, squeeze the lemon and combine with the chicken and butteryness!
4.Serve with cooked tomatoes, veggies of choice on a big spoonful of rice!
Price per person rice 16p, chicken 50p, lemon 4p, broccoli 40p, tomatoes 10p - total £1.20............although that's more than usual; I didn't get any lunch today...so I can afford the 20p!
I met Dearly Beloved in his lunch break as I was mooching around Plymouth, killing time before collecting the dogs. I went to Poundland. I bought two black currant bushes and some preserving jars (I usually just use old jam jars over and over and over!) but these two preserving jars were just one pound. The plan is to use the jars for jam or pickles/chutney for gifts. It's amazing how people like homemade preserves when they only usually have shop bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment