Sunday, April 18, 2010

Washing clothes by hand.

For years on end we went on camping holidays in Carnac in Southern Brittany, where washing clothes by hand is still popular. How do I know this? Because every supermarket has plenty of soap for handwashing clothes, usually beautifully scented and in every variety. There really is no need to use a washing machine for all of your laundry and delicate underwear always needs to be hand washed. I use very little laundry soap or water when I hand wash and after I have rinsed them I just use my washing machine to spin them. Take a look at your own washing machine....I'm sure it will have a spin cycle. There is always a percentage of my washing that is hand washed, saving me lots of money and giving my arms a good work out!


My washing is always hung outside as I have no dryer and they come indoors onto a 'clothes horse' if I have days of rain and really need clean clothes.
But I do have the most incredible ironing machine! He's called Dearly Beloved who loves to do nothing more than watch the Grand Prix or a film and iron; he always puts the clothes away too!

No comments:

Post a Comment